Hello!

Hi everyone, welcome to my blog of travel adventures. I started this blog just to keep everyone up to date on what I'm up to, so enjoy! :)
Anna x

Sunday, April 29, 2012

City of food


After a three leg train journey and about 20 hours arrived into the sunny chaos of Naples. A bit bewildered getting off the metro into the streets, with people everywhere, cars all over the place and a shambles of narrow streets. Had a bit of difficulty finding the hostel, with a car coming towards me in the skinny street I didn't think I had the right street, but I did! Headed out in the evening for a walk, the hostel was right near one of the main shopping streets. Headed down the via Toleado to the port at the bottom, and had a gorgeous view across the bay with the mountains in the background. On the way back found a huge fortified castle on the waterfront. At 8pm on a Friday the street where still full of people, I think they have their rush hour at little later than ours!

The following day I was off on the train to Pompeii for the day. Just 40 minutes south down the coast on the local train. The shear size of Pomepii was staggering! Through the ruins you could see the remains of various temples, the foro or meeting place, basilica, connected with many lanes of house remains. The baths were still covered and had fresco paintings on the walls. There was a complete amphitheatre for performances and plays, and behind that the quarters of the gladiators. At the farthest end of the city was the area. Impressive in size, the seats had become overgrown, but the structure was still intact. It was amazing the little things, like a full laundry, canals for drainage, water wells, and a central park. After my legs had had enough, I grabbed a refreshing gelato and headed back to Naples. On the way back to the hostel, stopped in to see the Duomo, a massive and ornate church in the old town. Then wandered through the old town streets crowded with tourists and stalls. Meet some nice Swedish girls in my hostel and headed out with them for dinner. Found a local pizzeria, which had so many choices it was overwhelming! Went for a easy option the capricorsia, Noe you may think that pizza is just pizza, but pizza in Naples is something else! So fresh, with a soft and doughy crust. mmmm! Delicious!

The following day I checked out the city, wandered through the shambles of the old town. Indulged in some local pastries - one with I think ricotta cheese - amazing. And a Baba, a sponge like cake drenched in syrup. Not quite what I thought it was but still yummy! Then headed back towards the waterfront, where on a Saturday it was packed with both locals and tourists. The locals sunbathing on the rocks by the sea, and frolicking about in their speedo's on boats. Did a loop back up the fashion street which at about 3pm in the afternoon was closed as the shops are between 2 and 4pm and then open again till about 8pm. The day was scorching hot, so I can understand why it would be nice to have a wee siesta in the afternoon. Found a pizza bar open and grabbed a panini on my way home, with some gorgeous prochetto. By the time got up the street it was time to treat myself to some gelato for the day :) Chilled out at the hostel for the evening, the owner had cooked up a massive dish of pasta and feed us some orthentic Naplese pasta. Delicious!
Then Monday it was off to my next destination - Florence, just a short train ride by comparison of 2 hours. There is nowhere quite like Naples I have been so far, a city with a whole energy of it's own, somehow through the chaos the Italians thrive.
Venice



just to prove I was there (if only for an hour!)
Napoli
Castle


Arena Pompeii

Basilica



fresco in one of the houses

ampitheatre

Baths


Dome cathedral

old town streets

yummy pastry

pizza!

piazza gesu nuovo

No comments:

Post a Comment